Planning to buy a plot in a freehold colony? It is important that before finalising the deal you check all the documents thoroughly. One small mistake and all your hard-earned money will go in vain.
First and foremost you must check the land where you are buying the plot is legally occupied. Even a property stuck in litigation can be registered but will not have a mutation paper. Therefore, seal the deal only when the seller agrees to complete the mutation procedure. Once the registration is done, start its process.
So, how to ensure that the mutation is done? What is the procedure? Money9 suggests these 9 points to go about it.
1. After getting the property registered, the application is given for mutation in tehsil. From here this application will be sent to the regional accountant.
2. On the basis of this application, the regional accountant checks whether the person who has sold the property actually owns it or not.
3. On being named in Khatauni, the Lekhpal will authenticate this file and proceed. After this, the file will be sent to the tehsildar.
4. Normally, this process should be completed in 45 days. In many states including Uttar Pradesh, this work can also be done online sitting at home.
5. If you are not able to get this work done yourself, then you can take the help of a lawyer. Although there is no fixed fee for this, the lawyer may charge you some service fee.
6. After the process of mutation is complete, a unique number will be entered from the tehsil office on the back of the last page of your registry documents.
7. With digitisation in the country, now all the documents related to the property are being made online across the country. Many states have completed this work.
8. Through the number mentioned on the last page of the registry documents, you can find out the details of the status of your rejection online.
9. If you want to see the details of any property in Ghaziabad district, then for this you have to go to the website http://upbhulekh.gov.in/. Here select your district then click on tehsil and then village. On entering the account number, your name and land area can be found out.
Download Money9 App for the latest updates on Personal Finance.