The year gone by, that witnessed an outbreak of the deadly coronavirus, raised instant demands for as many things to turn contactless as possible. From an uptick in online shopping to contactless deliveries, the new normal forced necessary shift in our day-to-day dynamics even before one could fully realise it. Furthering this, the Union ministry of road transport and highways (MoRTH) on Thursday announced contactless services via Aadhar authentication for renewal of driver’s licence, vehicle registration and obtaining a learners’ permit.
“Any individual desirous of availing various contactless services, through the portal, is required to undergo Aadhaar authentication. Provided that till the time Aadhaar is assigned to the individual, benefits of contactless services shall be given to such individual subject to the production of Aadhaar Enrolment ID slip,” the Ministry said in a notification.
This means, people with an Aadhaar card no longer need to visit the regional transport offices (RTOs) to avail licence-related services.
As many as 18 services will be covered under the new system which is intended to “simplify the government delivery processes and bring in transparency and efficiency.”
Certain services regarding Driving License and Certificate of Registration have been made completely online. Now these services can be availed without going to RTO. With Aadhaar authentication, on voluntary basis, anyone can get the benefit of these contactless services. pic.twitter.com/UBBvbbsGfG
— MORTHINDIA (@MORTHIndia) March 4, 2021
Here’s a list of 18 licence-related services that require citizens to undergo Aadhaar authentication:
1. Learner’s Licence
2. Renewal of Driving Licence for which test of competence to drive is not required
3. Duplicate Driving Licence
4. Change of Address in Driving Licence and Certificate of Registration
5. Issue of International Driving Permit
6. Surrender of Class of Vehicle from Licence
7. Application for Temporary Registration of motor vehicle
8. Application for Registration of motor vehicle with fully built body
9. Application for issue of duplicate certificate of registration
10. Application for Grant of NOC for certificate of registration
11. Notice of Transfer of Ownership of motor vehicle
12. Application for Transfer of Ownership of motor vehicle
13. Intimation of Change of Address in Certificate of Registration
14. Application for registration for driver training from Accredited Driver training centre.
15. Application for registration of motor vehicle of Diplomatic Officer
16. Application for assignment of Fresh Registration Mark of motor vehicle of Diplomatic Officer
17. Endorsement of hire-purchase agreement
18. Termination of hire-purchase agreement
Meanwhile, the government had issued a draft order a few weeks back which let people link their driver’s licence and vehicle registration certificate with the Aadhaar card.
Download Money9 App for the latest updates on Personal Finance.